Prof. Girish cherishing his life experience with Dr. Kalam, Shri TN Sheshan and Sachin Tendulkar


27th July since 2015 was a sad day for India. On this day we lost the greatest President of India   Sri.AP.J.Abdulkalamji. He was dear to us and close to us.
On his 5th death anniversary, I dedicate this tribute to three legends with whom I had the opportunity to interact with.
In the 1970s Kalamji as a young engineer at ISRO , Trivandrum was staying in the same locality where I used to live. Due to his hairstyle and active involvement in establishing ISRO tackling fishermen of the coastal belt he was popular among the youngsters.  There was a cobbler in that locality by the name George and was a close friend of mine. This cobbler was close to Kalamji as he used to keep supper packet for Kalamji from hotel as he would return from ISRO very late everyday. What is friendship? After becoming President during his first visit to Kerala George was a special guest to Kalamji in Kerala Raj Bhavan. The HR lesson I learnt is the recognition we have to mete out to individuals irrespective of their status.

Again in 2012, I had an opportunity to host Kalamji for inaugurating the annual conference of NIPM at Kochi. Along with the galaxy of speakers, Mr.Stephen Heaslip from the US was also in the stage. I got back to my seat after welcome address and then Kalamji's PA came to me and informed Kalamji wanted to know how to pronounce the name of Stephen Heaslip. The HR lesson I learnt is the ’Personal Touch’ Kalamji is trying to give to each individual in spite of hundreds of people he meets every day.
Let me add two more legends in this note. Sri.T.N.Seshan  the  dictionary meaning of Chief Election Commissioner attended a conference in the late 1990s at Pondicherry on the invitation of NIPM. I went to invite him and the meticulous manner in which he interacted with me itself was an experience. He agreed to travel from Chennai to Pondicherry by car and clearly said a Contessa car must be provided. He also said fruits must be kept in the car. Another condition was that post his Valedictory address at Pondicherry we should not trouble him with a dinner invitation. Sheshanji came on time and delivered a  wonderful speech and surprised all of us by joining with us for Dinner and interacting within an informal manner. The HR lesson I learnt is that we need to be strict but along with the same we need to create lighter moments in the team we interact with.
Sachin Tendulkar the household name in India became a sensation in my house after my mother learned cricket in her 70s, thanks to the influence of Television. My wife reached out to Sachin’s PA and appraised him about the aged fan of Sachin who always prays for him in South and PA collected her details and next birthday she got a beautiful Birthday card, with detailed comments about the fan here, signed by great Sachin. Even at 87 that birthday greetings is a treasure in my mother’s collection. The HR lesson I learnt is the genuine care and happiness you can give to another person not known to you but praying for you.
My inner feelings compelled me to capture all of these wonderful experiences under one umbrella!
pranams to all.

Associate Professor
XIME Kochi

Comments

  1. Lot of things to learn and really good.👍💐

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lot of things to learn and really good.👍💐

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing is a surprise as it is coming from you sir. And I should again mention you as a man who Walk the Talk. All these lessons from legends or any one else is so close to your heart and your capture those in your life. This looks like a "prior title deed" (munnadharam or Adiyadharam) for your personal touch acts.

    Well knit lessons of genuinety and compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article ! It is a beautiful mix of anecdotes involving three great legends giving us some simple yet great lessons... thankyou!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts