Aleena’s 20 Blessed Days




“Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with great love” – Mother Teresa.

On December 16th, I started my SUPA Project with YMCA BodhinilayamSpecial School. My responsibilities included the development of social skills and cognitive functions mainly assisting the students in their academics, introducing them to the latest technologies and working as a team, teaching them about self-regulation. My interactions with them were a valued learning experience in dealing with aggressive physical contact and practicing how to remain calm when they are having behavioral issues.

Due to the diverse range of disabilities among the students, each student has different needs in comparison to others. So identifying the children’s needs, characteristics and learning the sign language was one of the main challenges and I managed to learn it in a week’s time. Another main challenge was staying calm and patient when the students were experiencing behavior escalations. In such cases, it is very important to stay calm and manage that situation patiently in order to avoid tension, injury and requires lots of patience and practice.

Some of the contributions that I made to the school include bringing technology in their educational system which includes implementing Laptops in their classes, introduction of special computers, conducting workshops and classes, music workshops, bringing potential sponsors for the financial support, introduction of projector for better learning, a new Facebook group for the School and so on.

SUPA has been a unique and educative experience for me. It has really helped me to improve characteristics such as attentiveness, acceptance and patience in myself. It has also helped me to develop an ability to realistically gauge the need of the intellectually challenged students and to take initiatives to overcome their difficulties.

YMCA isn’t just a place to do social service alone, it’s also a place to learn and fill your heart with unexplainable feelings when you accomplish certain tasks for these children who are in need. And I thank the XIME family for giving me an opportunity for the same.

Batch 07

Comments

Popular Posts