Student's Blogs


Maggi in a kettle"                                                                           

Have you ever stayed in a hostel? How did it go? Do you remember that time you had to rely on your cooking skills? Now, what if you only have your kettle and a packet of noodles to satisfy your midnight cravings?

The first time I entered a hostel was when I joined my post-grad program at XIME Kochi. It was an entirely different experience because there were no parents and I was having fun 24/7 with my friends. Oh, what fun!

However, a particular thing that really pissed me off was no midnight cooking (sobs), so I could not satisfy my midnight cravings. Yet, desperate times call for desperate measures, one of which is the famous kettle maggie.

No rocket science involved here, just a lot of burnt fingers and wandering around the hostel knocking at each and every door looking for a packet of spicy masala. Water is poured in, boiled, and all kinds of spices are added, followed by the noodle tastemaker and noodles. The tricky part is to keep your fingers away from the scalding steam without burning yourself. If you leave it closed, you might burn your dish, if you don’t, your dish might not cook properly, so, between all this tension, you need to keep stirring and make sure your finger doesn’t get scorched under the steam. What a hassle.

It is, therefore, necessary to be careful, stir, switch off, switch on, and repeat. It is a long and laborious process, the entire tagline of ‘just 2 minutes noodles’ turned into a 30-minute task. Although the whole effort is worth it because the drool-inducing aroma wafts through the hostel air.

Hence, this is a story of the famous kettle maggi, which is mostly made in the morning during exams when it’s hard to keep our eyes open and minds alert, so this spicy little dish helps wake us up. Our only problem is cleaning up, but we manage to do it 

It will be very difficult to leave the hostel without missing the late night talks, the running away from the warden in the stairwells, the blasting of music and the famous kettle maggie.

Do you have any such recipes that you keep close to your heart? Feel free to share them in the comments and get in touch with me. You never know, you might just save my midnight cravings in hostels.

This concludes today’s post, I hope to keep writing and keep entertaining you with more snippets from my life! Thank you and Lots of love!!

______________________________

Diya S Chandran (2021-23)
                                   
                                                                       

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LOCATION ....                                                                                 

Does location matter while choosing an MBA or PGDM college! To most of you the answer would be NO or MAYBE but for me it was a YES. Choosing college is tough but for an average student it is much more tougher. I am not a person who likes to travel a lot but when it came to choosing my college for PGDM I decided to choose the furthest institution from my hometown and joined XAVIER INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP (KOCHI). I have spent almost a year and I still remember when I entered the college for the first time, I noticed that the campus was not very big but it was fully equipped with all amenities. Days were going good, with a mix of both fun and pressure. One fine day in a casual career discussion with my friends I came to know that PGDM colleges are not chosen on the basis of location but on the basis of ROI (return on investment). 

The question that kept striking my mind was whether I had made the right decision! I remained worried for a few months, running from one senior to another senior for review of college, faculty and the most importantly ROI. Finally all my questions were answered once I witnessed the first placement drive of my seniors. So far, by January itself, more than 80% of them  have been placed with an average package of 8.06 lakh. It did give me a sigh of relief. Thus my decision of choosing a college with respect to location did not prove to be a blunder!

"Not all who wander are lost"

Dheeraj Patel (2021-23)
                                            ______________________________

My Life Decisions........Roller coaster

My life decisions are really a roller coaster ride. I was interested in medicine but I selected mechanical engineering so I could get a job easier. Later I realised that engineers are good at everything other than engineering. Eventually I was not happy with what I was actually doing - machines, grease, designing, coding etc. were not my cup of tea.

I am a person who is more connected to people, who always needs people around, to speak, and learn from them and influence their thoughts. Hence I found that MBA is a better option for me, where I could build my abilities to connect with people. In that process I found XIME Kochi and now I feel I am on the right path and happy with what I am doing and now I hope my life doesn’t have anymore roller coaster rides or merry go rounds. I am fine with a ride on the giant wheel but am still wary of sudden surprises. Feeling elated to be a Management student…….

Lotheti Siva Jaswitha (2021-23)
                                         ______________________________

LIVE PROJECT WITH KSUM

After joining XIME Kochi, when I walked through the beautiful office of Kerala Start Up Mission during my second term as part of the Industry Connect programme, I never expected to receive a chance to work with them as part of my live project. I have only been working on my live project for a few months, but I’ve already learned a lot. Being an entrepreneur has always been a goal of mine, and now I can see people from all across Kerala coming up with creative ideas and pitching them. It’s been a great experience connecting with and keeping in touch with aspiring entrepreneurs. The first task I was given was to contact the applicants and explain them about the Idea grant, which requires them to pitch their ideas to an expert panel for evaluation. Later on, I had the opportunity to serve on other panels, scheduling meetings with candidates and listening to their product grant pitches. The ideas and experiences of the people I connected with were incredible and I was able to acquire information on a variety of fields that I had hardly been aware of earlier. A student like me needs to have high growth as I shape my career and expect my progress to go in the most productive path possible. I believe KSUM helps me with the same. However, it was a great pleasure to work with KSUM and be a part of such a vibrant team, and I look forward to working on more projects with them for the rest of my internship.

LEKSHMI VIJAYAN (2021-23)
                                     ______________________________

My SUPA Experience

I have always been fascinated with the kind of work NGOs do for people in need. I have always had this desire to somehow get involved in NGO work so that I can also contribute something to people in need. But I did not know how to get in touch with an NGO and never had an opportunity to work with one. Thanks to my college XIME Kochi, I got the opportunity to work closely with an NGO. The NGO I am working with handles various projects such as tree plantation project, daily feed project, Educational Scholarship Programs and building and handling old-age homes.  They also arrange blood on regular basis for government and private hospitals. I learned a lot in the two weeks I spent with them, they are available for people 24*7. They are always ready to help people in need. Recently they have taken the responsibility for a HIV Aids positive child by providing all the financial aid required for medical treatment and for nutrition. This week there were two “FEED” projects. One thing that I like about this project is that when they serve the food, they give importance to children and teenagers first, they always take care that those children and teenagers are getting enough food. So, I really like their approach. Basically, working with NGO gave me a new perspective of life. There are lots of people who are underprivileged, and we privileged people are always complaining about our lives. I feel grateful for the opportunities I have in life. It makes me appreciate my life. I feel lucky to have got the opportunity to help these people as much as I can.




Monalisa Chowdhary (2021-23)
                                             ______________________________

Why I love my hostel life in XIME Kochi

Life in hostels during college days is a totally different phase of life.  Each day is a new experience. Now let me tell you what made me fall in love with XIME hostel….

Lifelong connections: Amenities are not my concern. What I care most about are connections and friends. I found a lot of amazing people who never let me feel homesick.

Opportunities: I explored new places and met new people. I got to explore new things which I would have missed staying in my hometown, Andhra Pradesh.

Time management: Whether you excel at any other thing or not, managing time is a necessity. From the gossip sessions to studying, you learn to manage time to be part of every activity.

Independence and freedom: Independence is something that most of us barely get at home. In a hostel, you are accountable for everything from getting up in the morning, to having meals, to washing clothes and what not. My hostel life made be more responsible and independent in life.

Experience and Exposure: When you go out of your home to live in a hostel you really take in a great deal of nothings, in particular, making new friends, adjusting to a whole new environment, doing things on your own, taking initiatives and living with freedom. Experience comes with time, from the issues, distress, frustration and heartbreaks. This life brings out the real you and gives extremely valuable memories for life mostly priceless.

According to me “XIME hostel life is a place you can celebrate life..”

Hemanth Arjun Reddy (2021-23)
                                         ______________________________

A Kick-Start to my leadership Journey

 “The best way to predict your future is to create it“–Abraham Lincoln

 Yes! Time sure does flies. It’s already been seven months since I joined XIME and didn’t even realise it. My journey in XIME Kochi started on July 1 st , 2021. A total of almost 400 students joined the 2021-23 batch from the three campuses (Bangalore, Chennai and Kochi) for the two-year full-time post graduate diploma in management. On July 1, 2021, XIME launched its INSPIRE orientation programme for the Batch 2021-2023. Mr. Anil Philip, Vice President of the XIME Society, welcomed and congratulated the students on their decision to attend XIME and gave an overview of the XIME legacy. All three XIME campuses hosted a month-long unique orientation programme that included Distinguished Speaker sessions, Panel Discussions, Alumni Encounters, Bridge courses, and Student Club Activities for freshmen. After an excellent orientation programme, I was super excited to meet all the faculty. The academic classes started on August 2nd, 2021. At first, we all felt sad for not being physically present at campus on the first day. But our faculty members didn’t make us feel any different from offline classes. We always had fun and good discussions. I also got a chance to be the class representative of my batch because of which I was able to showcase my leadership qualities as well as decision-making skills in many critical situations. Apart from this, in the first month, we had the selection process for clubs and committees. It had been my passion to get into human resource department of a company and be an HR head. I have achieved my first stepping stone to it by getting to the most innovative and awesome club of XIME, HRuday, HR Club of XIME Kochi. It was a lengthy and a very fun filled process, from which I got to learn a lot. I finally got selected as a core committee member for HRuday along with four other friends of mine. By September end, the management of the college called the students back to campus. After being in quarantine for a week, finally I was able to meet my classmates who were from different parts of India and coming from different cultures. I also met my teachers in the campus and was overwhelmed with joy.

After attending the physical classes, we were able to grasp the concepts taught, in a much easier way than online classes. That brought us to the end of a term with great memories and fun. The second trimester started in the month of November and I was super excited to meet new teachers and classmates. The term gave a chance to learn a lot of new skills, not just from academic point of view but also in terms of developing my interpersonal skills as well. This term was much awaited by the students as it included Winter Internship Programme at Europe. But it was very unfortunate to miss this Audencia Internship programme due the uncertainty of COVID. Amidst this, a happy news was that I got an internship opportunity in Kerala Start-up Mission, where I was able to polish my HR skills. The internship was in the area of recruitment in a start-up wherein I was able to explore and learn new techniques to gather talent pool and choose the appropriate candidate for the required position. Thus, the second term also ended on a pleasant note.

College is a place that lets students dive deep into the ocean of new beginnings and possibilities. The tagline of XIME suggests “Shaping future leaders”, which is one thing I am eagerly waiting to experience and I am also considering this as the most interesting phase of my life that will give me an opportunity to explore and learn simultaneously, ultimately turning me into a leader.

Merin Sara Abraham (2021-23)
                                            ______________________________

My Experience in SUPA

My life has changed a lot lately after taking admission in one of the prestigious institutions, XIME Kochi for PGDM. XIME follows a rigorous curriculum and effective pedagogy calibrated by our beloved Founder Prof. J. Philip, who is also the former Dean and Director of XLRI and IIM Bangalore respectively. I just completed my 2nd trimester when our batch coordinator Prof. Sony Varghese held a meeting to convey some special projects and reports, which will commence with the 3rd trimester. 

The journey started with the announcement of our social project SUPA (Socially useful productive activities). SUPA is a two-credit course that runs for three weeks over the winter vacation. The goal of this course is to raise student awareness and comprehension of non-governmental organizations that are working towards the social issues and developments. So, all the students have to search as well as provide their services for the NGO. 

I found an NGO in my nearby city named Gurudev Samaj Kalyan Samiti. I met my mentor Mr. Saurabh who told me how the NGO works, and what all initiatives they do for the society. The NGO was running a water testing drive in the nearby villages to educate the farmers and school kids. Unfortunately, the testing came to halt due to unprecedented lockdown in our state.

Next day I visited the school run by NGO where I met all the teachers who were taking the online classes and the Principal seemed very curious to know about

my college. I told them about PGDM and student life in XIME Kochi and that SUPA is an important part of our curriculum.

Next day my mentor gave me some files regarding their recent projects and asked me to read and make a report of them. While reading the files I came to know what the NGO actually has been doing from previous months. They were running various projects regarding rural hygiene and sanitation in different villages near the city. They were testing the quality of water and presence of iodine in salt of different government primary schools which is used in cooking mid-day meals. 

I measure the progress of the society by the progress of the women in a society - B.R. Ambedkar This institution on a regular basis campaign for equal remuneration for females working in informal sector especially in construction sites to reduce gender wage gap as per the equal remuneration act 1976. They are also increasing awareness about Self-help groups. To improve the conditions of women in rural households, economic freedom is necessary for which Self-help groups (SHG) are playing pivotal role.

Poverty is the worst form of crime - Mahatma Gandhi. This institute constantly strives to educate and disseminate the knowledge among the poorest section of the society. To fulfil the visions of our founding fathers of the nation only education can resolve the problem of population and can turn it into human resource with proper skill development and training. Which is what this institution firmly believes and does by imparting knowledge related to small scale industries such as manufacturing of goods at local level.

Pushpendra Singh Raghuvanshi (2021-23)
                                                       ______________________________

Live project experience with V-GUARD

On 21st September 2021 I received a mail which gave me immense joy and excitement communicating that myself and my friend Diya got selected for an opportunity to do live project with V-GUARD which I came to know about it after giving interview for the same few hours back. I was on cloud 9 as I was least expecting to get selected for the same. Being a HR aspirant and fresher in the field I was quite bewildered and uncertain if I would be able to understand the sessions and be of any use to the company as well. All my impediments and inhibitions were wrong as the process went with ease and not as I had imagined in my head. Joining as an intern with V-GUARD was my first live project experience though previously I had done few other internships, this was one of a kind and its lot more than I thought it would be and in the best possible way. So far, I was able to glance and absorb on various skills relating to sourcing appropriate candidates for the specific requisition on a given job portal and got an idea on managing a hotel project for the employees. I have been working with very talented HR team at V-GUARD and couldn’t be more than happy as they mentored and guided me through each and every step of my intern life, which they helped to nurture and mould me from the very grass root level. This live project gave me more of real-world experience and how a corporate works, as for my expectation for the rest of the internship, I am as happy as a clam to be learning more every day.

Maria Raphael (2021-23)
                                                       ______________________________

Best restaurants near XIME Kochi to satisfy your taste buds.

 Tasting good food is a never ending emotion for many people especially for hostellers. We all know and well experience the night carvings for food orders. As we all are from different states across the country and not well aware about the local places, Here I suggest you some of the best restaurants which you can give a try. Places that are listed below are that I’ve personally tried and tasted. Most of the places will be having online delivery option to our college and some may not.

NOTE: There’s no relative ranking with names and numbers.

 

1. Arippa: Arippa is a perfect place for having delicious food in a beautiful ambience. You should bear with the rush and waiting a bit which is completely worth. The Tamil Nadu style Rvathur Biriyani is a must try for biriyani lovers. Kerala dishes like the Neymeen Molly cooked in Coconut based gravy, The flavory Beef Kurumulagu with Appam, and especially the Arippa Beef fry will make you visit this place again and again.

Location - Koduvathara Road, Palarivattom, Ernakulam

 

2. Dakshin: Dakshin is a saviour for all the people like me from the Telugu states, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. It helps us feel less homesick for our native style biriyani’s and Andhra cuisines. Dakshin will be the best option among few in hand to experience the spicy Hyderabadi style biriyani with full of masala unlike the commonly available Malabar and Thalassery style biriyanis in Kochi. Dakshin Special biriyani and Lollipop biriyani are my personal favourites.

Location - Ground Floor, Asset 1 pulse, Thengode – Edachira Road, Infopark P O

 

3. Ifthar – Edapally: Malabar style cuisine is unique in it’s own way that belongs to the some regions in Kerala. If you want to try some authentic Malabar style cuisine, Ifthar can be in the top one’s to opt for. It’s one of the oldest and famous restaurants in Edapally. Mutton Biriyani top’s in their menu for me followed by their special chicken kabsa and the fish mango curry is a must try. Be specific with the location when you are ordering online there are multiple spots with the same name.

Location – KK Building old NH47, OPP Pittappillil, Toll Jn, Edapally

 

4. AL – SAJ Kitchen: For people who likes trying new kinds of meat, AL-SAJ can be a heavenly place. With wide range of items starting from traditional dishes to Octopus, Oysters and lots of Arabian foods too. With a beautiful riverside view and both indoor and outdoor spaces, it’s a place to be experienced with your family and friends They also have boat dining available for limited people. Evenings will be perfect time to visit for breezy vibe and some live music.

Location – Mahilayalam Junction, Minerva Gardens, Aluva

 

5. Sree Aryas: Sree Aryas is a pure vegetarian south Indian hotel also with some north Indian dishes, well known for its breakfasts like Dosa, Uthappam, Vada and many. I’m personally a fan of their various kinds of Dosa like Ghee roast, Podi Dosa, Onion roast and more. This one can be your choice if you want a skip heavy meals items like biriyani etc, and to have a quick bite delicious food.

Location – Mik Building, NH-47, North Kalamaserry

 

6. Chakkarapanthal: It is a nice space with outdoor seating and little retro kind ambience, offering regional food. A perfect place to try if you want to take a break from fancy restaurants and cafes and have some refreshment in a rustic atmosphere. For a group of friends to sit and and some delightful time having different and special foods. You can try the Kerala style rice meal “Chatti Choru” served with seafood and meat in earthen pot. Also various kind of fruit squashes available there are pure bliss.

Location – Kuzhikkattumoola Muriyankara road, Kakkanad, Kochi

Chaganti Kumar Reddy (2021-23)


Comments

Popular Posts